banner

What happened at Hillsborough? BBC News

Written by

How a crush at a FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest developed, leading to the deaths of 96 football fans.

Subscribe to BBC News HERE http://bit.ly/1rbfUog
Check out our website: http://www.bbc.com/news
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bbcnews
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bbcworld
Instagram: http://instagram.com/bbcnews

source

Article Categories:
News · Youtube

Comments

• I really really really do NOT understand this "disaster". Not to offend anyone, but, why does there have to be justice ? I mean, it was the peoples choice to enter the stadium knowing it was way to full, I would've left seeing the amount of people and the lack of space, sure the police had it's flaws in understanding the situation but I mean, it was there job to keep people back. I just don't understand this, and I don't understand how 96 people died. Some one explain me what really happend and why someone should take the blame for this ?

KevinsNewWorld-98 May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • HILLSBOROUGH: • This Coroners verdict will be overturned on Appeal. The hand of God was involved here. There was the possibility of a riot occurring outside the gates, a Police Officer rightly decided to cool matters down by opening the gates, he was not expecting a stampede to occur, it did and the fans who rushed in are too blame for this tragedy. No one else. Similar things have happened time and again worldwide. Crowd crush injuries do occur, and on this occasion Liverpool fans are to blame. What I claim was filmed in the gateway entrance streets before the game commenced. (Other tragedies:)*China, 1000 people were killed in a stampede in an air raid shelter. 1990 Mecca tunnel tragedy: 1426 people killed. 2015 Hajj stampede At least 2,177 people killed.

PipersSon May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • One of the youngest was Steven Gerard's cousins

Dantdm Is mlg May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • A fucking disgusting cover up by South Yorkshire Police, at all costs they have tried to shift the blame, Thatcher at the helm, love and respect to the familes of the 96

tootstanner May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • The design of these gates and pens look like a cattle slaughter house, are the organizers insane? One of the saddest days in football history.

brokenlibrary2591 May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • I take this back….I didn't by ANY means refer to ALL the Yorkshire police….just the ones that caused all this grief and pain…………..I have the greatest respect for proper coppers………….

Robert Parkes May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • Good to see how the BBC investigated and got to the facts 30 years ago. Oh no, they did zero investigation and peddled lies. Nothing changes then!

Jeremy Bentham May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • sad

Iestyn owen May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • so many people with no lives.

Afef Ameal May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • There should be consequences for Politicians and for the police written
    into Law, whenever they deliberately lie to the Public! Or nothing will
    ever change for the good.

taxipandy May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • Can someone explain the verdict to me? I have read a few articles but wondering exactly how the police are responsible? (not denying it).

Legend Length May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • it didn't explain how the police kept the fans in pens 3 and 4 far to long, and pushed people trying to escape back into the pen.

JimmyTheHeadcrab (JimmyTheHeadcrab) May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • To the person who gave this video a thumbs down…You are a heartless, soul-less piece of shit peasant!

R L89 May 23, 2016 7:29 am
  • Terrible!
    And far too long for the verdict!

mightlife May 23, 2016 7:29 am